Friday, July 25, 2008

Baby Carrot Cakes.


For some odd reason Akhil loves carrot cake. I am not sure how or why but he does. I do find this to be a random type of cake for him to like because he typically loves the gooey chocolate sweets as I do too! So for his birthday I decided I would break down from our “eating healthy” routine and make him a cake. It was a surprise so he was quite happy. There has been no baking going on in my kitchen since about March so this was quite a treat for us!

A few months ago, I came across this cookbook called Small Batch Baking when I was just surfing the web so I instantly knew I needed to buy it. This cookbook is so perfect for a family like ours because it is baking in small portions. It’s only the two of us who eat the sweets and so I hate when I bake and I have an ENTIRE cake left or 4 dozen cookies to ourselves. Of course I love devouring these delicacies but it definitely adds a new zip code onto my thighs which is not summertime friendly (or anytime friendly for that matter!). What I really love about this cookbook is that you can’t over eat on the desserts because this recipe only made 2 mini sized cakes which were about a tad bit bigger than a cupcake. So if you want to eat more you are either screwed or have to take the effort out AGAIN to make another batch.

It’s about time someone came up with this great concept of small portions baking!!

Baby Carrot Cakes

Makes 2 personal cakes

Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for greasing cans
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring the cans
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Yolk of 1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

Pans Required

Two 14 - 14.5 oz tin cans (canned vegetable tin cans, with top removed and washed)
1 baking sheet


1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the over to 350 degrees F.

2. Grease the insides of the cans and lightly dust them with flour, tapping out the excess. Place the cans on a baking sheet for easier handling and set aside.

3. Place the buttermilk, oil, egg yolk, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to mix

4. Place the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnomon in a medium-size mixing bowl and whisk to blend well. Add the buttermilk mixture and whisk just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the carrots and nuts.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cans, dividing it evenly between them. Bake the cakes until a toothpick insterted in the center of one comes out clean, 37 to 39 minutes.

6. Remove the baking sheet from the over and transfer the cans to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Then run a thin, sharp knofe around the edge of each can, and invert the cans to release the cakes. Turn the cakes upright and let them cool on the rack. (the cakes can be wrapped and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days)

7. Frost the cake and garnish as desired.


Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Place the cream cheese and butter in a medium sized bowl and cream them with a fork or electric mixer on medium spped until smooth, about 45 seconds. Sift the confectioners' sugar over the cream cheese mixture; then beat, usign an electric mixer on medium speed, until the frosting is creamy. Stir in the vanilla. Use immediately, or cover and refridgerate. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I am going to buy this cookbook so I don't have a "new zip code"!