Wednesday, March 12, 2008

We Moved in the Biggest Blizzard in 30 Years!

The move was quite comical and stressful on Saturday with all the snow we got! We got a phone call at 7am from the movers saying they are not coming. I told them they have no choice and they have to come. The guy said he doesn’t want to die today. I told him its Ohio and suck it up, it snows here…so anyways I promised them a big tip if they come. So they talked to the manager and they came. Akhil shoveled our driveway for them but it was not enough because of all the snow accumulation throughout the day! So we didn’t have much money on us to give the promised “big tip” so Akhil left to go to the ATM. The movers were like “uhhh he probably shouldn’t leave its bad on the roads” but he did. Akhil the procrastinator did not have any of his stuff packed because he thought he would do it while the movers were there. Well needless to say on his way to the ATM, he helped a few people that were stuck and then finally he got stuck himself for 3 hours!


I packed up all his crap…I was so mad (but glad he was safe!) because he had 8 months to start packing and didn’t do a thing with his clothes and junk (he keeps EVERYTHING!). So I just threw his stuff in suitcases because we ran out of boxes. So by the time it came to his junk …we had no more suitcases or boxes and so I was very annoyed. I thought it would be easier to just throw stuff away. So I did. Whatever, he doesn't need it anyways…

The movers were falling all over the place with our furniture. It was sooo icy, slippery, cold, and just yucky. One guy fell about 5 times with a fridge on his back.
So they packed up the first moving truck with all of our essential furniture and other stuff. Moved it off the driveway and it got stuck on the street. They could not get the truck to move!




Here is the stuck truck. It doesn't look like a lot of snow but when the streets haven't been plowed and there is a 18 inches on the ground...its hard to get around!
So they did get the second truck on the driveway…they packed it up.

Now Akhil came back…and he was wet and cold with no dry clothes. I felt so bad for him! He did not go to the ATM in this terrible weather but did make a stop at STARBUCKS!!! He was soo annoyed at being stuck, he needed a drink - coffee!

I felt so bad for these guys…there were really really nice though. So then finally their manager came and told them to just finish packing the house, lock up, and leave the trucks. They are not going to finish the move until Monday!

I told the movers Akhil and I HAVE to go to work on Monday and that they need to deliver our stuff on Sunday. They said that they couldn’t and since we have to work, I should draw out a diagram where everything should go. I was like WHAAAT???? I don’t even know what I have in those boxes and also there is no way I want MOVERS in my house without me being there! So after some serious begging and pleading they did agree to Sunday.


So they locked up the trucks and the manager took them back to their cars and we were sitting in our empty dirty house with no clothes, no food, no toiletries, NOTHING! All we had was TONS of snow outside (and each other!).

So we decided to go to the new empty clean house because that is better than our wet dirty house. We slept there and then the movers came on bright sunny Sunday with all our stuff! Yay! We were sooo happy!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...what a terrible weekend to move! but congrats! can't wait for the housewarming party!